Home furnishings, Quilts

Super King Sized Quilt…!

After talking to a friend about my new found love of sewing and making quilts (okay just two so far) she said she’d always wanted one and would I make her one for her bed.  The only snag – she has a super king size bed (6 foot wide).

Well the name of my blog says it all – I’m just Sew Ambitious, I couldn’t turn down this scale of challenge!  I found a pattern I thought would be fairly straight forward to make on the Accuquilt site.

There were several challenges with this quilt:

  1. Finding various fabrics which were the right colour for the quilt
  2. Finding space to work out which blocks would go where – I wanted to ensure that no blocks were repeated in each row.  See photo below for how I did this!
  3. Sheer size of the quilt!  Basting it was epic and I ran out of pins twice!  I think I now have 300 pins for basting.
  4. Quilting it.  The size of the quilt was quite daunting and I really am no good at free motion quilting so I opted to quilt in diagonal lines across the quilt.  This was actually quite effective.

I also didn’t have enough backing fabric so had to improvise.  The back of the quilt ended up a bit of a happy accident.

The photo above shows the finished quilt on my friend’s bed.  She is very happy with it.

Basting the huge quilt
The finished quilt on friend’s bed
Reverse of quilt

I loved completing this project.  I would love to do another on this scale one day.

Home furnishings, Quilts

Jelly Roll Quilt

My mum told me about a quilting tutorial on youtube by Melanie Ham.  My mum doesn’t sew but she said if she did, she would have a go at making a quilt.

So I watched a few tutorials and bought a couple of books.  Then I splashed out on a jelly roll which took me a while to track down because it was issued 2 years previously – Moda Fabric by Bonnie and Camille ‘Miss Kate’.  It was going to be a quilt for Kate’s room so I seemed only right that I had that fabric.  I really enjoyed sewing the lengths of fabric together.  What I didn’t enjoy was all the cutting!  Oh and trying to put together the different fabrics and spacing them out well!  As you will see, most of the fabrics are light apart from a navy blue and I did kind of end up with a lot of them at one end.  I did find this part of the process very difficult.

I also sewed the binding on quite badly.  With a machine.  It was my first attempt at binding.  Now I understand that it’s actually quite therapeutic to finish the binding by hand.

Home furnishings, Toys

Bean Bag

After buying quite a lot of material for the blinds I had some left over.  I have since seen this pattern back in John Lewis and it is their Little Home range, Birds and Buttons I found instructions online to make a beanbag.  As you will see, I think I was inspired to make this on because it was similar colours to the fabric I had left over from the blinds.  I think it took longer than 30 minutes to make but anyone who is used to putting zips in things will probably do this a lot quicker.  I also made a lining bag out of calico so that I could unzip the cover and wash it.  Obviously this added to the time it took to make it.

This was quite simple to make and I was really pleased with the result.  I would say the hardest thing was getting the polystyrene balls into the bag to go inside!!!  Also I over filled it so it was quite firm at first but it is softening up now.  My daughter does love to run and jump into it.  It is very comfy now and I sit on it next to my daughter’s bed to read her bedtime story.


John Lewis Little Home Birds and Buttons Bean Bag
Home furnishings

Chair Cover

We had bought a chair in a sale some time ago and it was in a green tartan fabric.  It wasn’t really suitable for a little girl’s bedroom so I bought some fabric on ebay and had a go at covering it.  It seemed fairly simple however the chair had a fixed cushion which meant that I ended up with fabric sewn together just tucked down the sides and back of the seat cushion.  This means that after some sitting on, it starts to ride up.  If anyone has any solutions to this, I would be very glad to hear them!