Home furnishings, Window dressings

First Roman Blind

So having hashed the curtains – it really was a poor job! – I decided it was time to try a roman blind.  Seemed simple enough.  Found some lovely fabric and away I went…

It fits okay, it goes up and down – not that it really needs to as it’s for a loo with obscure glass so doesn’t need to be moved really.  I used a roman blind kit as I thought this would make it simpler to make.  I don’t know if it did really.

This fabric is Prestigious Textiles Botanica in Mango.  I think this is a really pretty fabric which works well as a blind as you can see the lovely pattern and colours.

Advertisements
Home furnishings

My very first project

My very first sewing project was a cover for a footstool.  Having seen the prices of ones you could buy from a store where we bought the large footstool (with storage) I decided I’d prefer to choose my own fabric and have a go at making one myself.  How hard could it be…?

I really didn’t know what I was doing and probably the fact that I was trying not only to match the pattern on both top and bottom halves of the footstool, I was trying to make it the same as it was in the shop – with Velcro fastenings!

Well it actually doesn’t look too bad, from a distance.  Close up it is flawed – most of the velcro doesn’t even meet! – but it has been in use for over 2 years now and it still looks good so I have to say I am pleased with it.  I’ll find a photo and post it on here.

After that I made a couple of cushion covers to match and after that I gave up.  This was all on my mum’s old Singer Sewing Machine.  A great machine but heavy to move around and I had to go to my mum’s to use it.