Home furnishings, Quilts

The quilt that never was

So this is the quilt I was going to make for my nanna’s Christmas present. This is as far as I have got and I might now give up. 

The reason for my disinterest is that I have downsized this quilt top from an accuquilt pattern and I miscalculated the size of the parallelogram  (dark pink). They are too big and it makes a lot of unpicking and starting again with it. 

I think I will shelve this one for a while 😕

Advertisements
Quilts, Toys

Christmas Make no.4

December was a busy month!

I bought a doll bed for my daughter from Ikea.  The bedding which came with it was functional but not very inspiring and didn’t go with the colour scheme in her room (the bedding was blue) so I decided to make a mini quilt. 

This was definitely a Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial. 

The photo is awful but you can just about make out my dreadful first attempt at free motion quilting…

Home furnishings, Quilts

Super King Sized Quilt…!

After talking to a friend about my new found love of sewing and making quilts (okay just two so far) she said she’d always wanted one and would I make her one for her bed.  The only snag – she has a super king size bed (6 foot wide).

Well the name of my blog says it all – I’m just Sew Ambitious, I couldn’t turn down this scale of challenge!  I found a pattern I thought would be fairly straight forward to make on the Accuquilt site.

There were several challenges with this quilt:

  1. Finding various fabrics which were the right colour for the quilt
  2. Finding space to work out which blocks would go where – I wanted to ensure that no blocks were repeated in each row.  See photo below for how I did this!
  3. Sheer size of the quilt!  Basting it was epic and I ran out of pins twice!  I think I now have 300 pins for basting.
  4. Quilting it.  The size of the quilt was quite daunting and I really am no good at free motion quilting so I opted to quilt in diagonal lines across the quilt.  This was actually quite effective.

I also didn’t have enough backing fabric so had to improvise.  The back of the quilt ended up a bit of a happy accident.

The photo above shows the finished quilt on my friend’s bed.  She is very happy with it.

20160821_205253
Basting the huge quilt
IMG-20160914-WA0000
The finished quilt on friend’s bed
IMG-20160914-WA0002
Reverse of quilt

I loved completing this project.  I would love to do another on this scale one day.

Home furnishings, Quilts

Jelly Roll Quilt

My mum told me about a quilting tutorial on youtube by Melanie Ham.  My mum doesn’t sew but she said if she did, she would have a go at making a quilt.

So I watched a few tutorials and bought a couple of books.  Then I splashed out on a jelly roll which took me a while to track down because it was issued 2 years previously – Moda Fabric by Bonnie and Camille ‘Miss Kate’.  It was going to be a quilt for Kate’s room so I seemed only right that I had that fabric.  I really enjoyed sewing the lengths of fabric together.  What I didn’t enjoy was all the cutting!  Oh and trying to put together the different fabrics and spacing them out well!  As you will see, most of the fabrics are light apart from a navy blue and I did kind of end up with a lot of them at one end.  I did find this part of the process very difficult.

I also sewed the binding on quite badly.  With a machine.  It was my first attempt at binding.  Now I understand that it’s actually quite therapeutic to finish the binding by hand.