Window dressings

Roman Blinds Galore

Moving on to the next big project – thermal blackout roman blinds for a bay window.  You can see these in my previous post.

For some reason we hadn’t been able to successfully fit curtains in this bay window either by using the track already fitted or by fitting a new one so I decided it would be a great idea to make blinds.  I found some fabric on the John Lewis website in the clearance section.  I don’t know what it was called but it was only £4/metre so I jumped on it!  This is the main fabric.  Because of the symmetrical design of the main fabric and because I would need to cut off some of the pattern, I chose a different fabric for the side windows.  This was part of the same range so same colours but not quite as cheap.

The border came about because the fabric for the centre window wasn’t wide enough so I bought some coral fabric to put a border on.  I actually think this looks really good and just goes to show that even when things don’t go to plan, they can actually work out better!

Again I used a roman blind kit for this project.  The downside I found with this is that there is a gap at the top of the blind.  This could possibly be overcome by making sure the blind fits really snuggly into the space.  I found this difficult because the ceiling of the bay window is not level.  I do think in this case it would have been better to use the traditional method of attaching a piece of wood to the ceiling as this would have blocked out the light at the top.  The sun sets on that side of the house and it oozes through every tiny gap in the blinds (see photo) – even the stitch holes where the rod tape is sewn on!

The “Blackout” blinds

To that end I ended up making a huge ‘blind’, for want of a better word, which covers the entire bay.  This blocks out the light.  See below.

Home furnishings, Window dressings

First Roman Blind

So having hashed the curtains – it really was a poor job! – I decided it was time to try a roman blind.  Seemed simple enough.  Found some lovely fabric and away I went…

It fits okay, it goes up and down – not that it really needs to as it’s for a loo with obscure glass so doesn’t need to be moved really.  I used a roman blind kit as I thought this would make it simpler to make.  I don’t know if it did really.

This fabric is Prestigious Textiles Botanica in Mango.  I think this is a really pretty fabric which works well as a blind as you can see the lovely pattern and colours.

Window dressings

Curtain Alterations

Now for something REALLY ambitious…

When we moved into our house I left most of our curtains behind except for our bedroom curtains.  These are huge for our new bedroom window so I thought, with my new sewing machine, I would alter them.

What a disaster!!

I’ve never worked with fabric so large and I struggled to keep up with the width of fabric (probably 5 metres) and measured and cutting.  Fortunately I don’t plan to keep these curtains once we redecorate but what a nightmare!  I did one curtain and then didn’t have time to do any more.  There is one more curtain and two linings to do too!

I have since had a tip – fold the fabric and cut through several layers.  This makes a lot of sense!

Time taken: so far about 2 hours but this project isn’t finished yet!